FARM CLUB FOR KIDS
In 2014, we piloted our summer Farm Kids Club for children of our CSA members. This is a fun way to learn about plants and animals on the farm and the importance of knowing what goes into our bodies and the web of life around us. Sow seeds, pick vegetables, pull weeds, look for wildlife, learn about the vegetable family tree, brand a pumpkin, and explore the farm. These are just a few of the possibilities that await.
• Start seeds from three plant families in plastic terrariums and compare growing plant structures.
• Learn about the Plant Family Tree: realize how few plants we use for food in modern times, compared to what was used at the dawn of civilization. Wonder: How did this happen?
• Farm Scavenger Hunt: look for birds, mammals, frogs, insects, weeds, crops, and more. Compare findings from our “organic” farm and the neighboring conventional farm
• Water and Fertilizer: Learn about methods of irrigation and water conservation, and feeding plants, past and present
• Growing and Harvesting: Learn about different ways to plant and harvest crops, and pick a herb salad (and more)
• Ponder Which Came First?: The chicken or the egg? The plant or the seed?
• Shades of Green and Red: Why aren’t there any blue vegetables?
• Inscribe a Pumpkin and learn how plants heal themselves and us
Farm Kids Club is only open to children of families participating in our CSA program. Classes limited to 15 kids, ages 5-12. (Contact us if you have older kids who want to participate.) Tuesday afternoons, June 21-August 2, 3:30-5:30. There will be no class July 12. Click here for the application .2016 Farm Club Application
If you will be 18 by May 1, 2016 and have the skills and inclination for a career in farming, send us an application. The application deadline is March 1, 2016 and the internship runs six months, from May 1—October 31. We would love to share our farm with you. Intern Application-Whistling Train Farm